Monday, July 1, 2013

July Quick Tip: Super Clamps

My quick tip for July is really not a tip but some equipment advice. I've been playing around with some different lighting setups and found one piece of equipment invaluable, the Super Clamp. They're manufactured by several different companies but all of them operate about the same. Here's a link to Manfotto's version at Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/BG2900.html. The price for one of these is anywhere from $17 up to $50. I was lucky and found mine at a surplus store for $5 a piece (I bought three of them and would have bought more if I had more money) but mine are white instead of black but, mine also came with spring clamps that attach to the stud.

These things are so versatile it's unbelievable. I took one and turned two light stands into a boom stand. Now I wouldn't attach a heavy mono light to it but a small speed light did just fine. I also use them with my 6ft diffusion panel. I put two of them on a light stand and attach two speed lights to it then clamp the diffusion panel to another light stand and I have a nice diffused strip light. Need to hold a bounce card in a difficult spot? With a spring clamp on one of these super clamps your good to go.

There is an unlimited amount of accessories that you can purchase to use with these things as well but you can do so much with just a clamp and a stud.

Next to gaffer tape these things are a must in your bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment