Saturday, January 25, 2014

Seung Hoon Park

Seung Hoon Park is a Korean photographer that I became aware of at Photo LA 2014. I was drawn to a couple of images that were on display and I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at. At first I thought that it was a mosaic of film stills. You could see the sprocket holes of the film in the images. It wasn't until I went back home and started to research some of the photographers online that I found out that the film was actually weaved together. I'm not sure if he weaved them together after exposure or before. The way that some of the images seem disjointed gives a suggestion that it was done after while others look as if he weaved them together before exposure and put the weaved film into an 8x10 camera and exposed it that way. I will have to do more research on this later. It is a very interesting result however and each time I look at one of his photographs I discover new things that I hadn't noticed the last time I looked at it. The online images do not do the work justice. At the Photo LA exhibit the images were printed rather large and the amount of detail in each square of the weave was amazing. The series is called Textus and can be seen at

http://susanspiritusgallery.com/artist/seung-hoon-park/

More information about Park as well as more images from Textus can be found at the following websites

http://www.madeinslant.com/2011/08/seung-hoon-park-weaves-stips-of-movie-film-together-to-create-photographic-images/

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2011/08/seung-hoon-park/




No comments:

Post a Comment